We thank the FIDE Council whom at their meeting on 19 April 2021 approved the new TRG regulations and which will soon be updated in the FIDE Handbook.
Major changes as explained to the FIDE Council, the FIDE Management Board and other stakeholder are as follows:
2. The FIDE Trainer System
2.2. FIDE Trainer Titles
v. FIDE Senior Trainer (FST)
The FIDE Senior Trainer Title is a title given for distinct service to chess over a long period of time, and will include all the men and women World Champions.
WE WISH TO FORMALISE AND MORE EASILY RECOGNISE OUR ESTEEMED COLLEAGUES AND TO ALSO INVITE ALL WORLD CHAMPIONS TO SHARE THEIR GREAT KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
2.3. Trainer Licenses
- Effective 1 January 2022, TRG will review all applications for a renewal of licenses, valid for four (4) years, either through submission of a signed document attesting to measurable student results and trainer accomplishments or by attendance at the earliest available seminar without charge, in both cases required to take an exam.
- This renewal process does not apply to FIDE Senior Trainers who will also have the right to attend a seminar without charge once every two years.
IT IS CRITICAL TOWARDS ACHIEVING A UNIVERSAL ACCEPTANCE OF FIDE TRAINER TITLES THAT LICENSING – A CERTIFICATION OF PROFICIENCY – HAS A FORMAL PERIODIC VALIDATION PROCESS AND THIS IS DONE AT RENEWAL
FST’S ARE EXEMPT AS ARE THE BACKBONE OF THE SYSTEM AND AT THE SAME TIME ARE KEPT ENGAGED FOR BOTH CONTRIBUTION AND FEEDBACK THROUGH ACCESS TO SEMINARS
2.6. Title Award Evaluation
- The proposed title award is based on the following five (5) evaluation criteria:
- FIDE Rating or Equivalent (20%)
- Overall Student Results (30%)
- Experience / Special Achievements (20%)
- Trainer & Related Professional Skills (10%)
- Written Exam (20%)
THIS HAS BEEN TESTED AND ADOPTED SUCCESSFULLY LATE 2019 AND ALL OF 2020
WE HAVE REDUCED THE PLAYING STRENGTH MEASURE BASED ON RATING FROM 30 PERCENT TO 20 PERCENT
NOW WE ARE USING RESULTS AS THE BIGGEST MEASURE OF PROFICIENCY BY INCREASING FROM 20 PERCENT TO 30 PERCENT AND IT IS NO LONGER 10 PERCENT FOR BOOK PUBLISHING BUT BROADENED TO BE FOR ALL TRAINER & PROFESSIONAL SKILLS
4. Financial Regulations
4.2. Title & Licence Fees
- No title or license fee shall be charged for FIDE Senior Trainer titles awarded to men and women World Champions.
- FIDE Senior Trainers with 25 years of experience will be exempt from future fees and all trainers who have reached the age of 65 while having a valid trainer’s license will also no longer be required to pay a license fee.
WE ARE RECOGNISING OUR WORLD CHAMPIONS AS EXCEPTIONAL TRAINERS GVEN THEY ACHIEVED THE HIGHEST TITLE THEMSELVES
AT THE SAME TIME, WE WISH TO RECOGNISE THE WORK OF FST’S AT THE HIGH LEVEL THEY TRAIN, AND WILL ALSO RECOGNISE SENIORITY IN ALL TRAINERS
5.3. If a Federation is unable to organize for a licensed trainer or an International Organizer to fill a Head of Delegation/Captains/Trainers at the designed official FIDE event, TRG will issue a captaincy license provided the following conditions are met:
- An application must be made together with a registration fee which will only be valid for that particular event.
- Compulsory attendance in an orientation course to be jointly organized by TRG and the FIDE Events Commission
THIS PROVIDES A PATHWAY FOR CAPTAINS NOT NECESSSARILY LICENSED TRAINERS BUT STILL ABLE TO DO THE WORK REQUIRED
6. FIDE Endorsed Academies Program
6.2. FIDE Endorsed Academies will be categorized into the following levels, valid for two yeas before review, with the corresponding rights and obligations:
- Level 1 / Professional
- From a minimum of 25 main students, five (5) should have an average FIDE rating of 2100, or the academy has achieved three (3) medals in a year or five (5) in two years at classical chess time controls, under 8 to under18 age-group categories where the achievement is Gold at National Championships and/or Gold, Silver or Bronze at World and/or Continental Youth and Cadet championships.
- Dedicated business premises with classrooms, library/resource center, all needed chess equipment including the use of computer technology for the number and level of academy students.
- Coaching staff must have two dedicated FST or one FST + two FT, all with current license.
- Organizing and/or participation in at least one of social and grassroots development projects, scholastic chess programs, the hosting of FIDE and/or National seminars, workshops and camps.
Special FIDE Rights
- Have the right to enter one non official player in each age group category of a FIDE event that is not part of the FIDE World Championship cycle and also in that of the Continent and region where the Federation it is registered with is a member, which is the World and Continental Junior, Youth, Cadet and Schools Championships, and also teams in the World U-16 Olympiad.
- Have the right to organize FIDE titled and rating events subject to approval by TRG and both the Events and Qualification Commissions, and to inform and submit report via respective National Chess Federation.
- Level 2 / Clubs
- From a minimum of 25 main students, five (5) should have an average FIDE rating of 1800.
- Operating or business premises, dedicated or shared with parent organization, having classrooms and all needed chess equipment for the number and level of academy students.
- Coaching staff must have two dedicated FT or one FT + two FI, all with current license
Special FIDE Rights
- Have the right to enter one non official player in each age group category of a FIDE event that is not part of the FIDE World Championship cycle and also in that of the Continent and region where the Federation it is registered with is a member, which is the World and Continental Cadet and Schools Championships.
- Have the right to organize FIDE rating events subject to approval by TRG and both the Events and Qualification Commissions, and to inform and submit report via respective National Chess Federation.
- Level 3 /Scholastic
- A minimum of 100 students, at the academy and/or in schools taught by the academy.
- Business premises and appropriate chess equipment and teaching materials for the number and levels of students.
- Official permission by relevant authorities.
- Coaching staff must have one dedicated FI or NI or two dedicated DI, all with current license.
Special FIDE Rights
- The organizing of teacher workshops and co-hosting and participation in children chess camps.
BASED ON TWO YEARS OF REVIEW OF ALL ACADEMIES WE ARE PROPOSING THEY BE ORGANISED AT THREE LEVELS, AND BE GIVEN DIFFERENT RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS BASED ON THEIR WORK
THERE WILL BE A CORE GROUP OF PROFESSIONAL ACADEMIES WHICH HAS THE CAPACITY TO WORK DIRECTLY WITH FIDE AND TRG IN OUR WORK AND BE READY TO TAKE ON A MAJOR DEVELOPMENT ROLE IN A REGION
MANY OTHERS WILL BE EXCELLENT CLUB ACADEMIES FOCUSED ON DEVELOPING YOUNGER TALENT AND WE WILL SUPPORT THAT WORK
THE FINAL GROUP WHICH ARE SCHOLASTIC ACADEMIES ARE VERY SUCCESSFUL BUT PRIMARILY IN BRINGING INTO THE GAME AND GROWING LARGE NUMBERS OF YOUNG PLAYERS